RELEASE YOUR CREATIVITY:
RESTILE is the contest promoted by Mirage and directed towards designers, creatives and project designers, aimed at identifying new aesthetic horizons for the production of porcelain stoneware slabs.
It’s a project with the aim of finding innovative product solutions driven by style trends and an alternative approach to redefining the Vision of porcelain stoneware.
The objective of RESTILE is to create a product or collection which is, above all, innovative, by means of an original interpretation of the aesthetic quality of the material.
Collection means a series of tiles sharing a common design concept, offered in different colour variants.
Participants are required to submit one or more product Concepts following the criteria indicated below, which are considered as binding.
A _ For the 2020 edition, Mirage requires a personal and original reinterpretation of ceramic decorations in the 1200x2780 mm size, to be used as a wall covering with vertical installation, for two different application contexts, hereafter defined as “Projects”:
Wall Project: Linear wall with 3-4 slabs side-by-side, with an application potential that can range from private to public (by way of example, but not in exhaustive terms: living area, wellbeing area, reception, restaurant);
Shower box Project: Shower cubicle composed of 2-3 slabs;
By way of indication, reference can be made to the images A and B of the attached document to this brief.
Every participant, subject to registration on the www.miragecontest.com website, may submit one or more concepts for one or both projects, with a maximum of 5 concepts in total.
The concept of reinterpretation is free and may range from the selection of references to the material’s particular natural beauty, arriving at more contemporary or abstract approaches, as far as conceptual deconstruction solutions of the product taken as a reference.
The project therefore can be conceived and structured freely on the basis of new material and graphic references, but concepts based on the reference products already present in the Mirage slabs range available in the 1200x2780 size will also be considered. https://www.mirage.it/en/special-solutions/large-size-slabs/
The concept must involve ideas regarding decorative graphic pattern(s) and a hypothetic range (maximum 3/4 colours or graphic subjects per concept), besides the possibility of combination between them.
B_ Design for manufacturing: the product must be conceived right from the design phase in such a way that it can be producible on an industrial scale. For more details, reference can be made to the following section, “PORCELAIN STONEWARE: THE MAIN GUIDELINES”.
C_ Concepts that involve patterns or illustrations that do not have graphic continuity between one slab and another are required in order to avoid graphic misalignments deriving from the production process of porcelain stoneware. In the same way, motifs that require precise centring inside the format are to be avoided.
By way of example see images C and D of the attached document to this brief.
PORCELAIN STONEWARE: THE MAIN GUIDELINES
The production of porcelain stoneware occurs exclusively through an industrial process which, thanks to constant technological innovation, implies limitations and peculiarities that need to be considered right from the creative/design phases, in order to guarantee the effective feasibility of the developed concept (in this regard, we recommend reading the following section: https://www.mirage.it/en/porcelain-stoneware/features-and-benefits/ ).
- The possible colour range corresponds to the classic CMYK four-colour process and the RAL scale. It’s not possible to apply fluorescent colours.
- The nominal thickness of the material is 6.0 mm and the size is 1200x2780 mm.
- The aesthetic personalisation of porcelain stoneware does not present limitations of any kind. Porcelain stoneware can be worked in a similar way to natural stone, and so polishing and surface decorations are, therefore, possible.
Mirage has, over its 47 years of activity, has acquired vast experience in the production of porcelain stoneware which, combined with consistent investments in research and technology, has enabled the company to respond in an effective and versatile way to the world of design and construction, offering ever more innovative and evolved solutions.
Mirage refers to an international market; it has an extensive sales network in over 160 countries in the world and has always had a product vision directed towards differentiated and heterogeneous targets, avoiding a generalist approach and encouraging constant feedback from its business partners in order to fine-tune its range.
It’s possible to have further information at our www.mirage.it website or on our social network channels (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn).
HOW TO TAKE PART
Submission of the project(s) is possible only online at the www.miragecontest.com website, subject to registration and acceptance of the conditions deriving from the Contest Regulations.
Delivery of the working papers must occur by, and not later than, 11 December 2020 (4 pm – GMT+2 ) and the winners will be announced on the www.miragecontest.com site. Any further information will be communicated through the same site.
The best proposals will be awarded by a Jury on the basis of four fundamental criteria:
- Technical-productive feasibility;
- Compliance with the contest objectives in terms pf the presented product (the “objectives” section of this brief);
- The innovative quality, compared to the current scenario;
Further information regarding the composition of the Jury may be found on the www.miragecontest.com site in the specific section.
The minimum output required is a series of working papers and documents able to demonstrate and describe in a complete way the aesthetic characteristics of the proposed product.
The minimum documents required for participation in the Contest are set out below:
- Brief description of the project for a maximum of 3,000 characters (including spaces) that indicates the title of the project and the inspiration behind it; the file must be ISO A4 vertical format, pdf or word.
- Graphic working papers (drawings, rendering, etc.) able to reveal the aesthetic qualities of the product, the material characteristics (surface structure, if present), colour range, the possibility of combinations between different proposals; the .pdf file must be in ISO A2 horizontal format. A maximum of 5 design drawings in A2 format may be submitted.
- Power Point/Keynote presentation with a maximum of 20 slides, describing the concept and proposed project.
Further optional materials can be submitted to present the project:
- The insertion of an original creative proposal inside one or more settings for the purpose of demonstrating the final look of the project.
- Video in any format, for a maximum of 2 minutes.
The Jury will proclaim a number of winning projects, with a minimum of 3 for each of the two categories referred to in the “Objectives” section in point A of these Regulations.
Each of the winning projects will receive a prize of € 500.00 (amount net of Legal deductions), besides the exhibition of their project on the online and offline channels on which Mirage will organise specific communication activities.
Any further information and details regarding this Brief may be requested at firstname.lastname@example.org